WASHINGTON—In a 30-minute video released Thursday, al- Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri criticized the mass transportation infrastructure of the United States, claiming significant repairs and upgrades would need to be implemented before the militant group would consider destroying any roads, bridges, or railways with terrorist attacks.
Reading from a prepared statement, al-Zawahiri blasted the U.S. government for its lack of foresight and admonished its leaders for failing to provide Americans with efficient and reliable modes of public transport to reduce traffic congestion, lower carbon emissions, improve air quality, and supply suitable targets for terrorists.
“The al-Qaeda network is fully prepared to continue the jihad against the American infidels by launching deadly attacks, but your outdated and rusting transportation infrastructure needs to be completely overhauled for those strikes even to be noticed,” al-Zawahiri said. “We want to turn your bridges into rubble, but if we claimed credit for making them collapse, nobody would ever believe us.”
LAST 5 POST BY Media Watch
- Lawmakers move to limit domestic drones - May 17th, 2013
- You Know What Really Risks National Security? Leak Investigations - May 17th, 2013
- Justice Department faulted over terrorist identities - May 17th, 2013
- SAFETY Act Program Near 600 Counterterrorism Products, Services - May 16th, 2013
- Draft 2014 Homeland bill reverses Obama cut to bomb prevention - May 16th, 2013