The release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the last American POW in Afghanistan, ends a more than dozen-year American conflict in Afghanistan. The five senior Taliban leaders exchanged for Sgt. Bergdahl, however, will continue to set off debates on the left and right sides of the political aisles.
A full page Wall Street Journal ad last week, signed by 61 former elected and administration officials, including all three previous DHS Secretaries, added a number of new voices to the almost decade-old message that Congress needs to “fix” the overlapping committee structure morass it created to oversee homeland security issues.
A couple of Fridays ago, I was scheduled to have a call with former U.S. Rep. Jim Oberstar. I was shocked to learn the next morning that he had passed away in his sleep. I will always remember this about Jim Oberstar: whenever a change to our aviation system was proposed, the lens he would use to examine it was, we have the safest, most secure system in the world, and we need to keep it that way.
Increasing adoption of cyber insurance products and frequent cyber-related initiatives across the insurance and risk world has been incredibly positive. Yet, many companies that are not consumer-facing are struggling with the insurability of their increased exposure. The insurance industry needs to embrace this evolving reality.
On the eve of the 2014 Passover, Frazier Glenn Cross, Jr. shouted “Heil Hitler” from the back of a police car after killing three people at two Jewish Centers in Overland Park, Kansas. Cross has been charged with a hate crime, even though his attack was clearly an act of terrorism. Why does there seem to be this national reticence to call a spade a spade, a terrorist a terrorist?
- Ontario Doctor Khurram Sher Found Not Guilty of Terrorism Charge
- ISIS Beheads American Journalist
- Community Resilience Is The Goal Of Homeland Security
- U.S. Has a Chance to Stop the Islamic State
- White House, Homeland Security Unaware 2,228 Immigrants Released from Jails
- U.S. Treasury Sanctions 3 Kuwait-Based Financiers for Alleged Terrorism Funding
- U.S. Homeland Security Contractor Reports Computer Breach
- More Than 1 billion Passwords Stolen by Russian Hacker Gang
- In Bipartisan Achievement, Meehan-Led Cyber Bills Pass House
- DHS Selects Stevens Institute of Technology and Alaska Anchorage for Maritime Research Center of Excellence
- Read All