While ISIS is capturing national concern, Iraq is not the only place where terrorist activities are happening this month. Earlier in June, Tarheek-e Taliban attacked the Karachi, Pakistan airport. What is striking is the terrorists were found with a gunshot wound U.S. military technology called XStat, which had only just been approved by the FDA. How did terrorists get this new technology?
Good Idea, Bad Idea is a weekly recap of the brilliant and stupid things America’s homeland security community does every day, because sarcasm is good for the soul. This week, a cat catches the tongue of OHA’s Dr. Kathy Brinsfield and Sen. Chuck Schumer gets a paper cut.
The release of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the last American POW in Afghanistan, ends a more than dozen-year American conflict in Afghanistan. The five senior Taliban leaders exchanged for Sgt. Bergdahl, however, will continue to set off debates on the left and right sides of the political aisles.
A full page Wall Street Journal ad last week, signed by 61 former elected and administration officials, including all three previous DHS Secretaries, added a number of new voices to the almost decade-old message that Congress needs to “fix” the overlapping committee structure morass it created to oversee homeland security issues.
A couple of Fridays ago, I was scheduled to have a call with former U.S. Rep. Jim Oberstar. I was shocked to learn the next morning that he had passed away in his sleep. I will always remember this about Jim Oberstar: whenever a change to our aviation system was proposed, the lens he would use to examine it was, we have the safest, most secure system in the world, and we need to keep it that way.
Increasing adoption of cyber insurance products and frequent cyber-related initiatives across the insurance and risk world has been incredibly positive. Yet, many companies that are not consumer-facing are struggling with the insurability of their increased exposure. The insurance industry needs to embrace this evolving reality.
- Why America Refuses to Pay Ransoms
- Obama, Iraq, and the Coming War Powers Fight With Congress
- Official Says Hackers Hit Up to 25,000 Fed Workers
- McCaskill to Lead Hearing on Militarization of Police
- Body Scanner’s Problem: Fails to Detect Guns
- Homeland Security Warns about Today’s ‘National Day of Rage’ Over Ferguson Shooting
- Ontario Doctor Khurram Sher Found Not Guilty of Terrorism Charge
- ISIS Beheads American Journalist
- Community Resilience Is The Goal Of Homeland Security
- U.S. Has a Chance to Stop the Islamic State
- Read All